Aphorisms Galore!

Discussions

Sometimes, users and visitors to Aphorisms Galore! feel the urge to comment on something, or even to start a discussion on a brand new topic. Sometimes, those users and visitors are living breathing human beings and not spam robots. When that happens, their messages show up here. (Some messages from spam robots may also appear from time to time, but I try to make sure they don't.)

301–320 (356)

Quotes from The Prince  ·  posted 2001 by A Botha

Quote from The Prince:

"nothing makes a prince so much esteemed as great enterprises and setting a fine example"

More quotes from The Prince

Meaning???  ·  posted 2001 by Jackie

Exactly what does Clair Boothe Luce's "No good deed goes unpunished" mean?? I am lost...........

What is this quazi-Zen stuff?  ·  posted 2001 by Zeke Hoskin

Doug Horton is undoubtedly a wise man, but he doesn't seem to have been caught saying 58 wise things so far in his life. Why would Aphorisms have only a small handful from such people as Voltaire, but such a complete selection of mixed wisdom and drivel from Horton?

In particular: "Why ask why? If it's raining, it just is." There are no dumb questions, but that comes perilously close to being a dumb answer. It isn't raining because God doesn't want you to play croquet, it's raining because the clouds ran into some cold air, and this can be predicted, worked around, and even, if we decide that it would be a good idea to do so, messed with.

When we say, "It's raining", why do we never ask what "it" is?//Zeke Hoskin

? "Bring me your tired, your hungry..."?  ·  posted 2001 by Jennifer

Who said this?

After  ·  posted 2001 by Pop

I think that it is important to believe that there is something after we die, whatever beliefs one may harbour. This will give us hope and maybe not make us so terrified of the big day. As the fact that a persons life in a drop in the ocean relative to the big picture, ie eternity scares us.

Hense believing there is something after is a good thing, and if your are worried that you will be disappointed as it turns out there is actually nothing, well you really can't be disappointed.

If there is something then great, if there is'nt well you will not know as you will not exisit. Which means you can't be disappointed, I assure you. It is a win win situation. All you have to concentrate on doing is living oyur life as best you can !!

How much handling does a ticket take  ·  posted 2001 by Andy Rooney

Dear Sir, I regard your opinion very valuable. I called American Ballet Thearter for tickets to the ballet. They were 65.00 a piece. I wanted to buy 4 of them. I was then informed I was to be charged 5.00 for each ticket for a handling fee. And I was paying tax on top of that. I was being charged 22.00 for them to send me my tickets. How do you feel about that? I feel robbed. I know it cost 34 cents to send it in the mail. Tickets are not that heavy. I could understand a charge but 5.00 a piece? Thank you for listening to me. Sincerly yours, Joyeve Palffy

Integrity  ·  posted 2001 by Hershey Bell

At our workplace, someone has in their email tagline the quote, "Integrity cannot be displayed, it is shown." Besides making not much sense, has anyone ever heard this quote or know to whom it is attributed, or, if it is being misquoted, what the actual quote is?

Tx. Hershey Bell

Integrity  ·  posted 2001 by Hershey Bell

At our workplace, someone has in their email tagline the quote, "Integrity cannot be displayed, it is shown." Besides making not much sense, has anyone ever heard this quote or know to whom it is attributed, or, if it is being misquoted, what the actual quote is?

Tx. Hershey Bell

Work  ·  posted 2001 by Richard Greenleaf

I am looking for a poem by Ogden Nash that I had pasted above my desk years ago but lost. It said something about our working so we wouldn't have to work. I've looked through various volumes of his poetry and searched the web to no avail. Cannot remember the actual title. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Richard Greenleaf

I think Chief Seattle said this  ·  posted 2001 by Yin

Did Hippocrates say this?  ·  posted 2001 by Isidor Papapetros

Emancipation of the human mind from a servile adherence to prior opinions

Personal success...  ·  posted 2001 by Julie

Don't wish for the misfortune of others, but for the fortune of yourself.

An obvious way to avoid embarassment...  ·  posted 2001 by Julie

Don't be ashamed of what you're doing, or don't do what you're ashamed of.

301–320 (356)