Aphorisms Galore!

Discussions

Sometimes, users and visitors to Aphorisms Galore! feel the urge to comment on something, or even to start a discussion on a brand new topic. Sometimes, those users and visitors are living breathing human beings and not spam robots. When that happens, their messages show up here. (Some messages from spam robots may also appear from time to time, but I try to make sure they don't.)

321–340 (352)

(no title)  ·  posted 2001 by Mark Krcmarik

I'm trying to find a book

I'm a trouble as to where in hell to look

Its not for me as you couldn't see

its for my sister millie

It has a poem we think by Ogden

I'll do my best to write out as he did pen

I quote (as I remember)

Godfrey Gordon Gustovus Gore Would you kindly shut the door

That's It that's all I remember. I read it for my brother

If somebody rembers this poem or where its written I would appreciate their help in finding the book that its in .

Many thanks

(no title)  ·  posted 2001 by elysia

I was looking for a Tennessee Williams quote. It goes something like this... "There are so many lonely people in the world that its a shame to be lonely alone" its not exact, but close, and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

When the government....  ·  posted 2000 by Stryfe

When the government fears the people, we have liberty. When the people fear the government, we have tyranny. When we have a liberal tyrant, we have Al Gore.

Famous Quote!!!  ·  posted 2000 by Robert M. Hensel

May the words that flow between two lines, connect us to a world of peace.

Who is Charles Brower?  ·  posted 2000 by Scott Kortemeyer

Does anyone have information on who Charles Brower is, or for what he is known?

PC  ·  posted 2000 by Garrett

Does any one see an application to the current climate of Political Correctness?

aphorism  ·  posted 2000 by viorelyx

Women have no honor. Nor should a man expect a woman to have any...

lol  ·  posted 2000 by Avenger73

oh...you must be very wise for writing that! lol btw i think its sucks!!

style  ·  posted 2000 by kacie

Style is not a size!

Is this from Doug or Michael O'Donoghue?  ·  posted 2000 by Mark Leffler

I'm not certain, but I believe the quote may be attributed to Michael O'Donoghue, who also wrote for the Lampoon in the early 1970's. It sounds more like MO'D than DCK. Doug's sayings were more along the lines of "There is no free brunch" and "You've got to roll with the bullets". As I say, I'm not sure what the source of the quote is. It may have been from an article, or it could be an oft repeated witticism. Would be interested in what others know or think.

(no title)  ·  posted 2000 by mcy

Most people marry because of lonliness. What else can we do if we're not successful to love ourselves enough to bear being with ourselves. Alone but not lonely is way out of reach for many of us

The quote a fake?  ·  posted 2000 by Johannes Hamre

See http://www.research.att.com/~reeds/petronius.html for a critical review

Who is John Winsett?  ·  posted 2000 by Frank A

Does anybody know who John Winsett (to whom the amusing quote above is attributed) actually is?

Does anyone know the background or story behind (pardon the pun) the quote?

Cheers FrankA

(no title)  ·  posted 2000 by Ron Fontaine

Who is Carl Zwanzig? Is there any biographical info on this author anywhere?

What do you think of Harry Truman?  ·  posted 2000 by Catalina Espino

Harry Truman... A president very much criticized and hated. What´s your opinion? When I think about this man I always imagine what would our world have turned in if He hadn´t done what he did. Specifically, if he had let thousands of US soldiers go to Japan and try to invade that land. How many more casualties would we have had?? Any comments?

Welcome to Aphorisms Galore! Shopping  ·  posted 2000 by Aphorisms Galore! Webmaster

Welcome to the new "Shopping" section. Here, I will do my best to help you find the right aphorism-related products at the right prices. I start out small, with only 65 different books and videos from three of the leading online booksellers, but I plan to offer a wider selection of products from a larger number of merchants in the future.

If you have any comments on the "Shopping" section (or on Aphorisms Galore! in general), respond to this message or drop me a line at webmaster@aphorismsgalore.com.

Ben Franklin  ·  posted 2000 by ttornow@yahoo.com

What is the origin/meaning of Ben Franklin's aphorism "Hunger is the best pickle"?

321–340 (352)